At Glen Eira FC, we are passionate about girls having the same football opportunities as boys. Glen Eira FC wants to be a leader for change in this area.
To that end, Glen Eira FC is excited to announce the appointment of John Sugunananthan as Technical Director of Girls’ Football (TDGF). John is a highly credentialed coach of many years’ experience (see short bio below*), with a vision to create the best football environment for girls in Victoria.
Girls’ Development Squad
In addition to providing mentoring to the coaches of Glen Eira FC girls’ teams, John will be head coach of a new U12 Glen Eira Girls’ Development Squad (GDS). The GDS will be an advanced-level girls’ team, which will play in Sunday boys’ competition in 2019, whilst also participating in numerous girls’ tournaments. The GDS is being created to complement the existing boys’ Development Squads at Glen Eira FC.
The GDS will seek to fast-track the development of the players selected, and to facilitate pathways for these girls. Players selected for the GDS will train at least twice a week, at the same cost to parents as all other junior teams, to offer equity and to maximise opportunities for aspirational young female players.
Girls’ Technical Director
In his role as TDGF, John will be mentoring the Glen Eira FC girls’ coaches, with a focus on player technical development, and consistency in coaching across the girls’ teams. In line with the values and vision of the Club, John’s approach is to ensure that a player-centric environment is created by coaches, to allow girls to have fun with their football, whilst developing both their football and life skills. Important values that will be developed across the girls’ teams include empowering coaches and players to have courage and trust in one another on and off the field.
John’s role as TDGF will facilitate and support collaboration across all the girls’ teams to maximise player and coach development, and engender a strong sense of community within the girls’ program at Glen Eira FC.
Click below for more information and signup forms:
- GDS Trials (in November 2018 – sign-up required)
- Park Football for All (November/December 2018)
- Girls’ only (free) Come and Try opportunities (February & March 2019) for ALL girls
- Sign-up forms for the 2019 Winter Season (new and returning female players) are now open.
For more information contact John on 0418 156 620 or at GirlsTD@GlenEiraFC.com.au
John’s Football Experience and Qualifications
- State (FFV)
- Head coach Girls’ Skill Acquisition Program (SAP) u10-12
- Development coach Skillaroos / National Training Centre (NTC) u13s
- Futsal u12s head coach
- National Premier League Women (NPLW)
- Premiership coach
- Bayside United and South Melbourne
- Head of coaching miniroos girls – Brighton Soccer Club
- FFA/AFC Licensed coach (C youth and senior, and futsal)
- Bachelor of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, Master of Business Administration, currently working as a Project Manager for Telstra.
- 4 children aged 11-19, married to Adriana – wife and 4 kids all play football!