Refereeing is a fun and exciting way to be involved with football.
Not only do you get to see all the action from the best position on the field but refereeing will keep you fit, while meeting new and interesting people, and earning money at the same time.
Refereeing also allows you to watch and learn skills from other players, build confidence and responsibility, and also getting a greater insight into the game.
Aims of the Program
- To contribute to the development of the game by introducing the next generation to the benefits of refereeing.
- To contribute to the smooth easy running of Glen Eira home matches for parents and players by removing the requirement for parents to ref their own kids matches.
To express interest in joining Glen Eira’s Budding Referees program, please click on the link.
- You need to be at least 12 years old
- You don’t need to be a member of Glen Eira FC
- Applications are welcomed from both boys and girls.
The number of Budding Refs in the program will be capped at 150% of the available jobs.
On one hand we want to ensure the available Budding Refs get enough jobs to make it worthwhile. At the same time we don’t want to run out of Budding Refs when numbers are down.
Glen Eira Budding Refs enjoy the following benefits
- They get paid.
Payment is made via EFT direct bank transfer.
- They are provided with a Budding Refs top.
- They get matches allocated for most of the times when they indicate they are available.
- The club will cover the cost of any FV REFEREE courses they undertake.
Budding Ref Payments
- You must wear your Budding Refs top. It must be tucked in.
If it’s very cold then you can wear your BR shirt over the top of a jumper or hoodie.
- Optionally you should also wear black or dark shorts, black socks and predominantly black boots.
- You must turn up 15min before kick-off to ref your matches.
If you don’t turn up on time, there will be a lot of people are stressing about where you are and looking for someone to cover for you. Therefore if you are late (or a no-show) will miss out on being allocated matches in a future round.
Budding Ref Availability
- Budding Refs must submit the Budding Ref Availability Form by 6pm Wednesdays
- Budding Refs are advised of their allocated matches by 12pm Fridays
Becoming an FV Ref
Minimum steps to start getting appointments as a Green Shirt FV Ref.
- Turn 13yo.
No exceptions (just ask Bennie).
- Pass the online laws of the game test.
- Attend an FV Level 4 Referee course. Cost is $125 but the Club will cover this cost for active members of the Glen Eira FC Budding Ref program.
See ‘Upcoming Courses’ at www.footballvictoria.com.au/resources/referees/become-a-referee
- Register with FV as a ‘First Season Referee’. No cost.
- Attend at least 2 x Level-4 Practical Training Sessions.
Listed at bottom of www.footballvictoria.com.au/resources/referees/branch-meetings
- Purchase your uniforms (see p11 of Referee Handbook)
- Purchase your equipment (whistles, cards, flags, watches, etc.)
- Sign up for a Schedula account. Load your availability into Schedula.
- Appointment queries? Email email@example.com
See also the FV Refs page.