Glen Eira’s U7 program consists of a mid-week training session and a 4-a-side miniroos match on Saturday mornings. The kids are allocated into teams which play in an intra-club 4-a-side competition. Parents and kids all agree the intra-club U7 comp provides the perfect stepping stone between the introductory 5-6yo program, and U8s (7-a-side teams playing home-and-away fixtures against other clubs).
The 4-a-side match is a modified version of the game designed to meet the needs of younger players. The smaller sized fields with fewer numbers of players per team, encourages more touches on the ball and opportunities for more goals to be scored.
Glen Eira’s U7 competition runs during the normal winter soccer season, in other words, school terms 2 and 3. There is a break for the Queen’s Birthday long weekend and the middle weekend of the mid-year school holidays.
- In 2017, the U7 program runs from 23-Apr till 10-Sep inclusive.
What time are U7 matches?
- Each Saturday morning at 10am or 11am at Lord Reserve, Carnegie.
- The U7 training sessions are on a weeknight (Mon-Thu, team dependent) at 5:30pm or 6:15pm. The training sessions consist of fun games which develop their skills whilst they are having fun, followed by a mini-match.
What to wear/bring?
All Glen Eira U7 players must have their own boots and shin guards.
Remember to bring their water bottles too.
Involvement of Parents
Your help is needed if your kids are to get the most out of their involvement with soccer. Please try to find ways to contribute. Most immediately, each team requires a Coach, an Assistant Coach and a Team Manager. There are other ways to chip in too… maybe turn up early to help set up or storing away the equipment, etc.
What if the weather is rotten?
If you don’t hear from the Team Manager 20 mins before start time, then you should assume the match or the training session is on.
How much does it cost?
Click here to see the Fees page..
U7 compared to 5-6yo and U8
- mini-matches are informal affairs, typically 4 v 4 (no goalies) .
- Groups have a group leader.
- Kids can wear whatever they tops and shorts they like.
- No mid-week training sessions.
- 4 v 4 (no goalies)
- All home matches against other GlenEira U7 teams – no travel to away games.
- U7 teams have a coach and team manager.
- Club provides the jerseys for use during the season
- U7 teams train once a week (typically 6pm on a Mon,Tue, Wed or Thu night)
Reminder of the club’s age policy:
Boys and girls who turn 7 during the year are eligible to join the U7 program run by Glen Eira.
Click here to see How to Join Glen Eira FC for season 2018. Submitting the application form in step 1 means we will let you know about any potential try-out sessions and how to do the proper sign up if you are successful in gaining a spot in a team.
For more information, contact the Program Coordinator