Applies to Glen Eira teams U12 –> Seniors competing in FFV competitions.
According to the rules each team (yes, even the away team) must provide one Ground Marshal who must:
- be at least 18 years old and provide the Match Official with their name
- be in a clearly identifiable uniform
- be visible from the Field of Play at all times
- escort the Match Official(s) to and from the change rooms and the Field of Play at the commencement of the Competition Fixture, at half time and at full time
- where required, assist the Match Officials(s) to ensure a safe playing environment for all players, Club Officials and spectators.
At home matches, Glen Eira ground marshals are responsible to check that:
(this applies even if your team wasn’t on pitch setup duty)
- Goal nets must not allow balls to pass through.
- Goal side and rear netting must be tensioned not saggy/baggy.
- Corner flags must be straight up & down and not easily knocked or blown over.
- Halfway flags to be at least 1.5m back from sideline.
- 6 chairs in each technical zone.
- Stretcher close to the halfway flag
- Match balls are near the halfway flag.
Match balls are not to used for team warmups or for other kids to muck around with.
During the Match
- Keep the exclusion zone (2m from sideline) clear of people, bags, dogs, etc.
Only linesmen and coaches are allowed inside. And players during an interchange.
- When the spare ball is called for, send someone to retrieve the first ball and bring it back to the halfway flag.
If it happens a lot, appoint a kid or two as ball retrievers.
- Control bad behaviour. Ask them calmly and respectfully to take it easy. If it continues and then ask that team’s coach to fix it. If the situation escalates:
- get someone to video it on their phone
- take care of the ref’s safety
- abandon the match.
- Don’t allow coaches to make player interchanges unless the ref has acknowledged it.
- Don’t allow the incoming player to enter the pitch until the player coming off has crossed the sideline near the halfway flag (injuries excepted).
- Ensure that subs wear bibs or similar, especially if they are standing.
- Ask anyone who isn’t a team official or a sub, to move out of the technical area.